- 90% of people spend 22 hours per day indoors.
- Children spend less than 1 hour per day outside.
- Humans have migrated indoors and in front of screens.
- Problems from being indoors: Obesity, cholesterol, depression, anxiety and insomnia.
The Hunting industry has the R3 Program. "RECRUITMENT, RETENTION AND REACTIVATION, “R3” is an important issue for anyone concerned about wildlife management, conservation and the future of our hunting traditions." They have noticed the same thing as the Reiner.
If you do want to get outdoors more often, the following list might help.
Here are some great reasons to spend more time outdoors.
- Generally, the outside air is cleaner inside (maybe a problem outside air issue in Los Angeles and China), but here on the prairies (unless there is a forest fire) the air is great.
- It's better for your eyes - Computer screens are hard on your eyes.
- Outside will reduce stress levels - relax around the fire pit and enjoy the day and evening.
- You absorb Vitamin D from the sun (15 minutes of direct sun does wonders).
- Being outside, gets you moving - exercise.
- More energy after a walk? You bet.
- Helps you sleep.
- If you feel better, you'll be happier too.